History in Photos (Video)
Our thanks to Bernard Barrows, who collected and scanned pictures and postcards of Horam. A selection of these photos have been made into a video with music click below to watch.
Video by Soulbat Digital with music by Milton Hide
Horam Station was opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway on 5 April 1880 and was originally called “Horeham Road for Waldron” it was renamed several times before becoming Horam Station on 21 September 1953. Passenger trains last called at Horam on Sunday 13th June 1965, and the last freight train up to Heathfield ran in April 1968. There is a now a path for cyclists, walkers and horses on the route of the old line (see Cuckoo Trail).
The Merrydown Winery / Cider Factory was founded in 1946 by Jack Wood and Ian
Howie. One hundred and thirty people worked there at its peak. The press held eight tons of apples The automatic bottling machine could produce about 35,000 bottles a day.
The seven-acre site has been empty since the factory closed in 2004 and is being redeveloped as a residential estate.